Friday, December 14, 2007

Re: POE Access points

Hi Norman,

Most POE Access points get their power through the cable. A standard
Cat5 cable will work. However, the other end of that cat5 cable needs
to be plugged into a switch that provides that power. If you don't have
a POE switch, you can get POE "bricks." These units plug into a wall
and have network jacks. You go from the switch to the brick and from
the brick to the Access Point.

The aforementioned Cisco AP1200s work as described above as well.

I hope that helps.

Alex Inman
Director of Technology
Whitfield School