Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Re: Looking for input on Web hosts

I would hardily recommend safeport.com

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Norman Maynard
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:55 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Looking for input on Web hosts

I know there have to be opinions out there on this . . .

: )

We've been offered an upgrade by our web host, after we inquired about
getting better spam filtering at the server. They are offering the
package
described below for US$19.95/month, which seems like a good deal.

One reason we are hesitating is because their service/ response has not
always been so great . . .As in, they seem not to answer emails, for one
. .
.

Our needs are fairly basic - about 25 - 30 email accounts. We'd like to
be
able to put up flash video, but streaming is not in our foreseeable
future.
Online forms are however, as well as the possibility of a small on-line
school store with payments via PayPal or some other such payment
service.

Thoughts /in put / advice greatly appreciated!

--=20
Norman Maynard
Principal
Thornton Friends Upper School
Silver Spring, MD

* (BTW - some of this is unclear, and some of what we will want is
called
an "upgrade," but I'm still wondering what other people's experiences
are
with web hosting - thanks!)
*

* Key Features*

* 2.5 GB of web storage

* 100 GB of bandwidth (transfer)

* 350 E-mail addresses

* Dedicated IP address

* 24/7 customer support

* Website backup

* FTP access

* Website Features*

* Server Side Includes (SSI)

* Customizable error messages

* Website control panel

* Web server raw logs

* Website statistics

* Advanced security controls

* 24/7 customer support

* Website backups

* 2.5 GB of web storage

* 100 GB of bandwidth (transfer)

* Dedicated IP address

* Microsoft FrontPage 2002 extensions

* CGI-BIN

* PERL 5

* Python

* PHP 4

* ASP.NET <http://asp.net/> 2.0

* E-mail Features*

* Web E-mail

* POP3 E-mail client capability

* CatchGuard virus and spam protection

* Additional mailboxes and storage (upgrade)

* 150 E-mail addresses

* 1.5 GB of E-mail storage

* 1500 E-mail aliases

* 150 E-mail auto-responders

* E-mail forwarding

* eCommerce Features*

* Support for VeriSign PayFlow SDK v3

* MIVA(R) Merchant(tm) (upgrade)A
full-featured
eCommerce tool for building and managing an online storefront with a
shopping cart, expansive product catalog and credit card processing
tool.

* PayPal(R) Payment Services (upgrade)An
online
payment gateway that securely connects your online store to any major
payment processor, bank, or card association

* Security certificate (SSL) (upgrade)Shows
customers your site is secure for eCommerce transactions

* Marketing Features*

* 50 names in E-mail Marketer

* MarketBooster site promotion tool
(upgrade)

* Monthly search engine submission (upgrade)

* Search Engine marketing (upgrade)