Friday, December 14, 2007

Re: Best English lessons with one-to-one laptops

Ann, I had forgotten about that. Yes. That administrator came to the
school after we launched the laptop program and was pretty sure the
laptops would only serve as a distraction. He was quite surprised at
the impact this could have on teaching.

Now, that conversation opened him to discussing the value of the tool.
The next step was getting him to realize the transformative power of the
tools. Yes, it is great when it reinforces lectures. However, as a
believer in social constructivism, the real power comes in teachers
creating opportunities and spaces for students to create knowledge by
doing. That then can be exhibited through authentic tasks.

In the first scenario, the laptops significantly streamlined something
he was already doing. That has value and should not be dismissed.
However, in the second scenario, I think you get better learning and
teachers would be hard pressed to create this experience without the
access and equality of a 1:1 program.

Alex Inman
Director of Technology
Whitfield School