Friday, December 14, 2007

Re: POE Access points

We just installed a Netgear WG302, which advertised itself as POE. But when
it arrived, the literature (such as it was) had a caveat - which is,
provided your (cat5) cables are so equipped.

Ours obviously are not, because there was no power with just the cable.

So I don't know if this particular unit would serve you - we're very small -
but I would suggest discovering more about POE abilities and requirements.

Norman Maynard

On Dec 14, 2007 12:14 AM, Tom Phelan <tphelan@peddie.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:35:01 -0500, Carl Campion <cscampion@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> >I can use a recommendation on a Power Over Ethernet wireless access
> >point.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I highly recommend the Cisco Aironet 1200 series POE APs. We have over 100
> and they are bullet proof. Also, if you do any VLANing with the wireless
> network they handle this nicely. Try that with a cheaper AP!
>
> We also use software from Airwave to manage the configuration of our AP's.
> The software isn't cheap, but it pays for itself many times over by making
> the management of the AP's configuation and firmware upgrades almost
> trivial. We run the Airwave product on a VMware server--while we now use
> VMware's ESX server, the free VMware Server worked fine. It saves the cost
> of having to dedicate a box to the software.
>
> --
> Tom Phelan
> Director of Technology
> Peddie School