Saturday, October 9, 2010

Re: technology courses

Hi Lorri:

Great initiative.

We at St. Gregory are enthusiastically experimenting with a pilot course
this year, semester-length, elective, and pass-fail, we are calling
Technology Innovation.

In the class, which can be taken 9th through 12th grade, one time or many,
our students choose a problem to address or a project to tackle, and then
spend the semester working in small teams designing and constructing the
project.

Some projects are new-tech, such as a android phone "apps," electronics for
dog bowls (water auto-refilling), robotics, and strobe flash photography;
other projects are old-tech: one group is constructing a human-sized
counterweight trebuchet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet>for catapult
object hurling.

The class is off to a great start, but it is not without its challenges, and
I cannot yet say that it will certainly overcome its obstacles and be a
long-term success.

I've written more about the class
here<http://21k12blog.net/2010/09/08/21st-c-learning-at-st-gregs-examples-from-curriculum-night/#more-2067>,
if you are interested.

Good luck with your project!

Jonathan

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Lorri Carroll <lcarroll@hamdenhall.org>wrote:

> Hi All-
> We are looking to explore some new high school technology courses beyond
> the AP Computer Science, Intro to Information Technology, Digital
> Photography, and Video Production courses we currently offer. Can
> anyone share any feedback about courses offered at your school?
>
> Lorri Carroll
> Director of Technology
> Hamden Hall Country Day School
> 1108 Whitney Avenue
> Hamden, CT 06517
> lcarroll@hamdenhall.org
> work (203) 752-2606
> cell (203) 215-9833
>
> This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
> solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any disclosure,
> distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
> sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. Thank you.
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Jonathan E. Martin
Head of School
St. Gregory College Preparatory School
Tucson, Arizona
www.stgregoryschool.org
www.21k12blog.net
Twitter:@JonathanEMartin
520-327-6395
St. Gregory: Creating Leaders and Innovators for the 21st century