Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Re: Staff/Faculty Use of iPads...

Most of our Administrative team has one (3G model) and we are piloting
the wireless models for our special needs and gifted programs. We
purchased the Bretford charging cart for the classrooms and the
Administrators manage their own devices. =20

Our administrators are using them for classroom observations and as an
organizational tool. It is much easier to walk around with an iPad than
a laptop or netbook and the battery life is outstanding. For the
classroom observations, we are experimenting with an online web form
that we designed using the website Wufoo.com (we also tested a form
using Formstack.com and Google Documents). The form created on
Wufoo.com allows the observation data to be immediately e-mailed to the
teacher. All of the administrators have the 3G model until we can get a
better wireless infrastructure in place throughout campus. They are all
using their Exchange accounts to get e-mail, calendar and contacts and
this has worked great using the built in apps!

With our current wireless setup on campus, all of our Mac users have to
sign in with their network user name and password each time they access
wifi - the iPads don't always pop up with the prompt to authenticate so
you end up not being able to access web content. I believe this has
more to do with our wireless setup than the device.

Some apps that have been useful:

1. PrintCentral - allows us to print to any of our network printers as
long as we are on our school wifi (or to any wireless printer)
2. Pages, Numbers & Keynote (Keynote works great with a projector and
the VGA adapter)
3. Dropbox (store files online for free and access them on all your
devices)
4. GoodReader - great for managing PDF files
5. Penultimate - If you prefer to hand write notes, you can use this
app with a Pogo stylus
6. GoToMeeting - get your webinars on the fly
7. Sorted - Decent checklist manager

Downsides:

1. You cannot use the vga adapter with a projector with all apps - very
limited use right now
2. Until more textbook publishers create content for the iPad, it will
not be a great replacement for traditional textbooks
3. True management in a network environment is limited

Luke Michael