Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Re: ISED-L Mini-mesters or Gateway Experience?

There are (of course) a number of different responses to this situation.
Ones that I have seen include:

- Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia has an intensive "Junior
Project" during January -- Juniors are actually pulled out of classes for
the month to take part in individual, self-designed projects/internships.
- St. Stephen's School in Bradenton, FL has (or had) "IQ Trips" --
Interim Quest -- where teachers lead classes/fieldtrips for a 7-10 days to
pursue passions and interests outside the classroom norm. Theirs is focused
on that post-AP window.
- Milken (where I am right now) has a Tiyulim (trips) Week (in years when
our Spring/Passover Break permits it) which is much the same as the IQ
trips, but with a heavy emphasis on week-long project-based, experiential
learning. (Spend the week learning to mix a song with professional audio
engineers, or learning architectural history by exploring LA 8 hours a day
with a professional architect, etc.)

All of these require _extensive_ prior planning, support and advising. (The
Junior Projects are the summation of ~6-12 months of planning, Tiyulim and
IQ are the result of 4-6 months of planning, etc.)

-- S

Seth Battis / sbattis@milkenschool.org / (310) 440-3500 x3806
Upper School Education Technology / Media Studies
http://faculty.milkenschool.org/sbattis
Milken Community High School / http://www.milkenschool.org