Friday, July 24, 2009

Re: Tilting at Windmills ... installing them that is

Hi---
I investigated windmills and thought the Windspire was really
interesting---it sure looks different

A complete Windspire 1.2 kW wind turbine typically costs between
$9,000 and $12,000, fully installed.
After rebates, the costs can be as low as $3,800, which is much lower
than comparable wind turbines and other alternative energy options.
The price includes the poles, inverter, wireless performance monitor,
and the hinged monopole.
A 30% federal tax credit and local rebates are available in some
areas. Payback is under 10 years.

It is designed to operate in areas with average wind speeds of at
least 10 mph (4.5 m/s), although it works best where average winds
exceed 12 mph (5.4 m/s).
http://www.mariahpower.com/find-a-dealer.aspx

Good luck! Sounds really exciting!
Susan Ferris Rights
The Pingry School

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Fred
Bartels<fred_bartels@rcds.rye.ny.us> wrote:
> Have any of you recently had windmills installed at your schools? I'm
> thinking it might be an interesting project this year to lead a group of
> students through the process of researching, planning and promoting the
> placement of a windmill on our school's campus. If others have already
> been through a similar process it would be great to hear about your
> experiences. (I've started a discussion on this subject over on ISEN here:
> http://isenet.ning.com/forum/topics/installing-windmills-at-our
>
> I'm thinking of a relatively small windmill like this:
> [ http://www.windenergysolutions.ca/documents/WES5Tulipo_001.pd
> ]http://www.windenergysolutions.ca/documents/WES5Tulipo_001.pdf
>
> The set of videos about the construction of this windmill on Nantucket
> provide a good starting point for understanding the complexity of the
> process.
> [ http://www.plumtv.com/videos/bartletts-farm-windmill/index.htm
> ]http://www.plumtv.com/videos/bartletts-farm-windmill/index.html

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Susan Ferris Rights
susanferris123@gmail.com