Saturday, July 25, 2009

Re: Collecting oral 'school history' stories from alumnae and former employees

Fred, I've collected oral histories for various projects using a
combination Gcast, iPod, GarageBand, and Audacity. At issue is
quality versus access. It's best to initially record in a high quality
file format that you can later edit if needed or export as an .mp3
file. If you're going to combine files together and edit to create a
"show" with sound effects and such, than you'll need an audio editor
like Garageband or Audacity The problem is getting all participants to
record in a high quality file format. Some alumnae and former
employees likely live far away from Rye. Do they GarageBand or
Audacity on their computer? Do they know to use it? If not, do you
expect them to come to Rye CDS to be recorded?

If access to a recording tool is more important than audio quality
then you have many more options. I've had parents record into an iPod
voice memo via a portable mic. I've had others record directly into a
cell phone and upload to Gcast.com. Keep in mind these options have
limitations. Extracting voice memos from an iPod not synched to your
iTunes account is a hurdle. They also need the $40 mic to record.
Gcast is no longer free. And both sacrifice audio quality for
compression/portability.

Perhaps the simplest way to collect oral histories is via Vocaroo.com,
in beta. Simply record your voice on the Web and then email it or
embed it. It's accessible from anywhere and there's no learning curve.
The audio is not crystal clear, mind you, but you'll be able to
collect oral histories quickly from people in dispersed areas.

Tom

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Fred
Bartels<fred_bartels@rcds.rye.ny.us> wrote:
> We have a budding project here to collect stories about the school's past
> from alumnae and older current and retired employees. The person
> instigating this project was inspired by StoryCorps
> (http://www.storycorps.org/). I'm curious if other schools have tried
> something like this and might be able to provide some
> ideas/advice/guidance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred
>
> -------------------------
> Fred Bartels
> Head - Computer Department
> Rye Country Day School
> 914-925-4610

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Tom Daccord -- educational technology trainer, speaker, and author.

Co-Director, EdTechTeacher
Chestnut Hill, MA
tom@edtechteacher.org
http://edtechteacher.org/
http://besthistorysites.net/
twitter: thomasdaccord
c: 617-455-8716

EdTechTeacher.org & Boston University Summer Workshops:
http://edtechteacher.org/workshops.html