Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Re: Tablet PC for Physics Lab

We will have close to 90 tablets in our teachers' hands by fall. We =
began (in Physics) by using Lenovo's, which we did not find to be =
sturdy...many of the latches have broken or gone missing. Then we =
bought the first line of Dell's, which, after patching, were great. We =
have just purchased a couple of Lenovo's for next year for those who are =
wed to them, and the bulk will get the newer model Dell's. I have a =
Dell and love it. I much prefer the keyboard touch and screen touch to =
the Lenovo, but it appears to be a personal preference thing, as some =
teachers say the opposite. One big difference: Lenovo's have no =
trackpad, and I have heard from our teachers that the stick (for mouse =
control) makes not only their "hand tired, but also their head" so they =
always plug in an external mouse. I just use the trackpad and don't =
have to worry about the mouse. I am a "mobile professional" now, moving =
from building to building, so it works for me. Those who stay in =
classrooms have asked for and received docking stations, so it makes =
setup/takedown easier. I also have a physics teacher who uses his own =
Fujitso tablet. He's happy with it, although it was pricey as I recall. =
- Vi
=20
Vi Richter
Instructor/Academic Technology Coordinator
Phillips Exeter Academy