Thursday, July 23, 2009

Re: Fip Video Cameras

I was a major Flip skeptic at first: On paper, the resolution doesn't seem
much higher than, say, a mid-range point-and-shoot camera's, and the
functionality is rather limited: No expandable memory, no flash photos, etc.
etc.

However, after having used them extensively for work and personally, they
are a great investment if you want to take video and actually use it for a
relatively low price point.

First, the on-camera software does a great job at making sure the video
looks good, even in bad lighting conditions, with shaky hands, or with
moderate levels of background noise. This is stuff that becomes incredibly
important as soon as you start putting it in the hands of students, faculty,
and staff.

Then, all you have to do is plug the Flip in and you can just drag and drop
video off of it onto the computer, and use the on-camera software to edit it
or drag it into MovieMaker or any other software suite you'd like. While
it's plugged in, it's also charging leaving one less thing to worry about.

I've had a tape-based DV recorder, and the production involved from light
adjustment, transporting and transcoding files, etc. etc. is the main
impediment to actual video adoption, impediments which the Flip handily does
away with.

-Michael

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Marty Hankins <
mhankins@theodysseyschool.org> wrote:

> We are looking at purchasing some new video cameras and someone brought up
> the Flip Camera. What is the quality of the video and is the format
> compatible with Windows Movie Maker? Thoughts about which model to
> purchase? Would we be better off with traditional video cameras? We would
> not be posting to YouTube; the cameras would be used by classroom
> teachers, tutors and most likely students.
> Thanks for your thoughts.
> marty
>
> Marty Hankins
> Director of Learning and Technology
> The Odyssey School
> Stevenson, MD
> 410-580-5551 x1014

Michael Morisy
News Writer, TechTarget Networking Group
Phone: 1-857-488-3081 | AIM: MMorisy
GTalk: morisy@gmail.com | Twitter: @morisy