Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Re: REPLY: classroom observation forms

Hi!

When I have my students assess me, there are two main parts to the form
(which usually takes up three pages).

1. At the beginning of the year, they generate a list of "What a good
teacher should do." I have them rank me on each of those traits,
"Always-Usually-Sometimes-Rarely-Never." and give them space for optional
written comments as well.

2. I then give them a series of more open-ended questions on the progress
they see themselves making in the major skill areas, what I've done to help
in their progress that is working for them, and what else they think I
should be doing.

3. Sometimes, I'll add a third part where I will essentially say, "Here's a
change I am contemplating making in my work with this class. What are your
thoughts?" and add in a "Any other changes?!" kind of question.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L