Thursday, January 8, 2009

Re: Facebook question

Your first concern is a possibility with any website, not just Facebook. T=
he only thing you can do to insulate yourself from these types of attacks i=
s to ensure you have sufficient desktop security in place. Run good antivi=
rus software, ensure your users aren't running as local administrators, and=
use safe browser settings. In a properly secured environment, no website =
should be able to cause a security breach on a PC without the user explicit=
ly downloading and executing a file. Not to say that it doesn't happen, bu=
t the more precautions you can take the better off you'll be overall.

I'm not sure what you mean by "open facebook connection". Any attempt to h=
ijack the source port of the computer making the HTTP connection would requ=
ire the web server itself to be compromised, not the web page being viewed.

I hear these sort of generalized fears often from people who don't fully un=
derstand the technology being used. Social networking is safe as long as y=
ou're running in a sane environment. I tend to agree with Jason, in that t=
he true cost of allowing social networking and other such sites at schools =
lies in the toll taken on the supporting infrastructure.

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland