Monday, March 31, 2008

Re: Workshop for department heads

I know of none other than ISM, but I also know that NCTE has a conference for English leadership at the conclusion of its fall (November) national meeting.? You might look into that.?

Best,

Margaret Bowles

Associate Head, Viewpoint School and a former English Dept. Head

Friday, March 28, 2008

Re: Transferring VHS to DVD (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

It is complex issue. For example the royalty fee is only applied to
blank CDs labeled for music. Those labeled for computers (which is
nearly all) are not subject even though they can have music burned to
them. MP3 players and CD burners in computers are not subject, but a
stand-alone music recorder for CDs (which are an increasing rarity) are
subject. The holes in the law are pretty big and series of lawsuits
have widened them. Still, some are upset that a few companies like Sony
(which used to only produce devices) have added media (Sony Pictures,
Sony Music) and essentially pay royalties on devices, and collect a
percentage back through claims to the fund based on their media (Not to
mention the sale of the media).=20

Even so it collects about $75M/year which is then distributed to
claimants (performers, directors, media companies, etc.) based on some
complicated rules but many artists benefit directly. The government
does not retain the money but essentially acts as an escrow agent so it
is not a tax. Many countries (e.g. Canada) have a direct tax on media
paid at the cash-register that also are disbursed to copyright holders.

Legally, you (as a private citizen for non-commercial, individual use)
can record anything you want on anything you buy with some exceptions
including:
--Rights holders can force you to agree to more restrictive terms with
licensing agreements that provide them more protection than the law. I
have already seen this on training videos and some other non-consumer
media.
--Rights holders can implement DRM which prevents you copying by forcing
you to use only devices that are licensed to decrypt that content and
which will refuse to allow other devices to record. Attempts to
circumvent the DRM are illegal under the DMCA because you have to break
their security. =20

As always ... I am not a copyright lawyer.

_J
___________________________________

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of George Cohen
Oh, and BTW, it's not just the recording medium, it's on the recorder
too.
Since a computer is also a recorder, I would guess that each computer
you
buy includes a royalty charge too. (See the same site below.)=20

So, here's the question: SInce they are charging you for royalties on
anything you buy that can record, can you record anything you want on
anything you buy?

George Cohen
Chief Information Officer
The Walker School
700 Cobb Parkway North
Marietta, GA 30062
office 678-581-6913
cell 305-297-5543

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Re: Transferring VHS to DVD

Whether this is true or not, not a penny of these fees goes to the author
(who is usually the owner) of the copyrighted works. So how on earth
could these "copyright fees" make it legal to make a copy?

- marty

--
Marty Billingsley
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Re: Transferring VHS to DVD

> [...]

>>doing that here yet.
>>
>>And I have to admit, there is a certain amount of logic to it. I know
>that
>>90% of the blank cassette tapes I bought from 1969 to 1999 were
>>specifically
>>for making what we now call "mix tapes" of my records. Similarly, about
>>90%
>>of the blank VHS tapes I bought were for timeshifting TV shows. It made a
>>lot of sense to me that rather than trying to sue us all into oblivion
>for
>>copyright infringement, they just add another 5c to the cost of blank
>>media,
>>and make sure that goes to all of the proper rights organizations. When I
>>first suggested this to some other people I knew, the one or two people
>in
>>the group who *never* bought tapes to copy music or TV shows onto
>>(probably
>>the only two people in the *world*) complained that it would be making
>>them
>>pay for something they never did.
>>
>>When I similarly suggested that the movie industry just tack an
>additional
>>dollar onto the price of videos to cover the "non-theatrical" rights, so
>>that your kid could take a movie to school or daycare without having the
>>place run afoul of the "public performance" clause, these same two people
>>complained that it wouldn't be fair because they never sent stuff in with
>>their kids.
>>
>>The simple fact of the matter is that the amount of paperwork we have to
>>go
>>through in order to make sure that each of the stakeholders gets their
>>perceived correct slice of the pie is way too much, and the rules are
>>totally counter-intuitive. We need to streamline the whole copyright and
>>public performance thing.
>>

>>On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:13 PM, George Cohen
><gcohen@thewalkerschool.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> What really gets my goat is that every blank cd or tape or anything
>>> recordable has a fee added to the cost to cover the copyright fees.
>This
>>> was added in the 70's when the discussion was about recording songs off
>>of
>>> the radio. I don't beleive they have removed that charge. (If someone
>>> knows for sure that it was removed, I'll take back my rant)
>>>
>>> So your paying for the right to copyright something that they say you
>>> can't copy.
>>>
>>> Sounds a lot like taxation without representation to me.
>>>

>>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
>>non-commercial, share-alike license.
>>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,

OK, so that's just on *digital* media, and not the old analog stuff. I can
see where they might have a few concerns about the digital stuff. Analog
loses quality with each generation, so after a few copies of copies, it's
nothing anyone in the entertainment industry would be worried about anymore=
;
but digital goes marching on.

Of course, the funny thing here is that Phillips and Sony, the two biggest
players here, make money on both sides of the street. They make it from
blank media and recording devices, and they also make it off of the very
music and movies that they're complaining about the rest of us copying.
Either way they make out.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:08 PM, George Cohen <gcohen@thewalkerschool.org>
wrote:

> [...]

>public performance thing.
>

>On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:13 PM, George Cohen <gcohen@thewalkerschool.org>
>wrote:
>
>> What really gets my goat is that every blank cd or tape or anything
>> recordable has a fee added to the cost to cover the copyright fees. This
>> was added in the 70's when the discussion was about recording songs off
>of
>> the radio. I don't beleive they have removed that charge. (If someone
>> knows for sure that it was removed, I'll take back my rant)
>>
>> So your paying for the right to copyright something that they say you
>> can't copy.
>>
>> Sounds a lot like taxation without representation to me.
>>

>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,

Happy Spring! I'll be checking email from time to time, otherwise, I'll be
back in the office on April 7th.

Transferring VHS to DVD

wrote:

> What really gets my goat is that every blank cd or tape or anything
> recordable has a fee added to the cost to cover the copyright fees. This
> was added in the 70's when the discussion was about recording songs off of
> the radio. I don't beleive they have removed that charge. (If someone
> knows for sure that it was removed, I'll take back my rant)
>
> So your paying for the right to copyright something that they say you
> can't copy.
>
> Sounds a lot like taxation without representation to me.

Re: Transferring VHS to DVD

What really gets my goat is that every blank cd or tape or anything
recordable has a fee added to the cost to cover the copyright fees. This
was added in the 70's when the discussion was about recording songs off of
the radio. I don't beleive they have removed that charge. (If someone
knows for sure that it was removed, I'll take back my rant)

So your paying for the right to copyright something that they say you
can't copy.

Sounds a lot like taxation without representation to me.

George

George Cohen
Chief Information Officer
The Walker School
700 Cobb Parkway North
Marietta, GA 30062
office 678-581-6913
cell 305-297-5543

> [...]
>blatantly, I
>charge the user, and purchase another copy. If it just wears out or
>gets
>scratched, I either replace it or I don't, just like a hardcopy book.
>
>Camille Atkins
>Librarian
>Fredericksburg Academy
>Fredericksburg, VA
>catkins@fredericksburgacademy.org
>

>In a message dated 3/21/2008 8:47:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>kgatling@MPH.NET writes:
>
>And yet, we're allowed to do this with our home stuff.
>
>Seems to me that for the longest time the recording and music industries
>counted on us losing or wearing out our records and films as a source of
>guaranteed future income, and now that we're in the digital age, the idea
>that we might be able to make backups is anathema to them.
>
>And yet, when we buy music and movies digitally, we're actually advised
>make backup copies. At least the iTunes Store does. Could this be a case
>of
>the right hand not knowing what the left is doing? Do we maybe need a
>test
>lawsuit to establish that we have a right to make backup copies, a
>concept
>that no reasonable person would find a problem with, and that most
>reasonable people would consider the entertainment industry greedy for
>trying to squelch?
>

>On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Camille Atkins <CUAVCU@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I understand what you are saying...the purpose of making an archival
>copy
>> is
>> to have a copy in case the original is destroyed. According to my
>> interpretation of copyright law, we are only allowed to make those
>backup
>> circulating
>> copies for software, not for audiovisual, which would include DVDs and
>> music
>> CDs. Check and see if your video or music producer/supplier gives you
>the
>> purchaser (school) archival rights.
>>
>> Camille Atkins
>> Librarian
>> Fredericksburg Academy
>> Fredericksburg, VA
>> catkins@fredericksburgacademy.org
>>

>[ For info on ISED-L see

http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>attribution,
>non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed,

http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

>**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
>Home.
>(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,

Re: Online photo storage - One More (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

It will be worth watching this for the future. Yesterday Adobe finally
announced an entrant with PhotoShop Express. Right now it is only 2GB
and free but look for subscription services to contend with previous
recommendations in the next 4-6 months. I took it for a test drive and
it is pretty slick.

_Jason

___________________________________

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net
jason.p.johnson2@us.army.mil=20

Confidentiality Notice

This document may contain information covered under the Privacy Act, 5
USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (PL 104-191) and it's various implementing regulations and must be
protected in accordance with those provisions. Healthcare information is
personal and sensitive and must be treated accordingly. If this
correspondence contains healthcare information it is being provided to
you after appropriate authorization from the patient or under
circumstances that don't require patient authorization. You, the
recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and
confidential manner. Redisclosure without additional patient consent or
as permitted by law is prohibited. Unauthorized redisclosure, or failure
to maintain confidentiality subjects you to application of appropriate
sanction. If you have received this correspondence in error, please
notify the sender and once and destroy any copies you have made.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Interim Head positions?

Hi
A colleague of mine is interested in possible openings as an Interim
Head of School. Does anyone know of any openings and/or agencies that
specialize in such searches?

thanks

Paula Hunter

Art and/or Music ListServes

Hello to all,

I've been searching for a listserve dedicated to Independent School arts education in
general, and music education in particular, and if you happen to be familiar with any
worthwhile listserves fitting the bill, I'd appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks.
George Michelson
Cate School
PO Box 5005
Carpinteria, Ca. 93014

Email:george_michelson@cate.org

Re: Turnitin Ruled Fair Use (UNCLASSIFIED)

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
March 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM -0400 wrote:
> If I can

>not prevent other from using my work in a commercial way as is done
>here then a copyright means very little indeed.

Your copyright means that you can prevent others from using your work and
reselling it as their own (or rather, you can sue them if they do that).
*That* is the main benefit. Providing quick access to your (or the
students') work with a commercial catalog (which is what iParadigms is
doing) is hereby legal and not breaking your copyright.

How about this: I make a webpage listing and showing information of my
favorite 10 CD's (with all of the appropriate information) and charge
people to look at it. Am I violating the copyrights of the artists or
record labels? I think I'd be OK legally. The catalog (=my choice) is what
I'm charging for and I'm not representing their work as my own.

My issue isn't so much with Turnitin, but with the schools that use it in
a compulsory way. I don't know if there's a legal argument that would
force a school or university to not *require* it, but I'm uncomfortable
with that relationship...

Peter Hoopes
Director of Technology
St. Andrew's School
phoopes@standrews-de.org
=====================

Re: Turnitin Ruled Fair Use (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hello, Greg,

Time to use the CC Non Commercial Share-Alike license,
stipulate that your work can never be used in an
anti-plagiarism service, and launch the lawsuit :)

I'm amazed that Turnitin won this case.

Cheers,

Bill

--- Greg Kearney <kearney@tribcsp.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Greg
>
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Peter Hoopes wrote:
> > A forum for independent school educators
> <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
> > March 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM -0400 wrote:
> >> So in other word a copyright provides you no
> right at all. Anyone can
> >> take your work put it into a database, use it for
> commercial
> >> prepossess and so long as they do not display the
> whole work and in
> >> some case even if they do that is "fair use"?
> >>
> >> This sound to me as if this ruling eliminates any
> rights granted to
> >> the holder.
> >
> > (underline mine)
> >
> > This is not the case at all. Copyrights do not
> entitle their holders
> > control ALL aspects of the piece - hence the
> doctrine of "fair use."
> > What
> > you are seeing here is simply the clarification
> (by this jude) of
> > the line
> > between fair use and value of one's copyright.
> >
> > I could write a song, copyright it, and others
> STILL have the right
> > play
> > or sing it for various reasons (parody, for
> instance). Of course, in
> > this
> > case, I may be entitled to compulsory payments,
> but I can't stop
> > them from
> > doing it. I understand here that part of the issue
> is that Turnitin is
> > making money off of material that is submitted by
> students who feel
> > they
> > have no choice.
> >
> > But, they do. Parents and students can complain
> vigorously to their
> > school
> > districts or heads of school. There is no one
> compelling the schools
> > use Turnitin, and that is the place to strike for
> those who oppose it.
> >
> > Our policy here is that teachers send suspicious
> papers to me, I
> > submit
> > them, check the report, and inform the teacher.
> Therefore, the VAST
> > majority of our students never have anything to do
> with
> > turnitin.com, but
> > we still benefit from having the service
> available.
> >
> > Peter Hoopes
> > Director of Technology
> > St. Andrew's School
> > phoopes@standrews-de.org
> > =====================
> >
> > [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L
> ]
> > Submissions to ISED-L are released under a
> creative commons,
> > attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> > RSS Feed,
> http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative
> commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Stories of Excellence

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to put in a plug for the collection of "Stories of Excellence"
on the NAIS ning site. I know that many people on ISED are doing great
work at integrating technology into instruction and I hope you will
submit your favorite projects to NAIS --
http://naisnet.ning.com/group/storiesofexcellence. It's also great to
read about the great things that are happening. The stated deadline for
submission is April 1st, but perhaps the good folks in Washington will
consider pushing that back due to spring break. NAIS will be publishing
a manuscript with selected entries.

Thanks also for everyone's activity on the ISEnet ning. It has been
amazing to watch its growth and interact with you online at
http://isenet.ning.com/. I think that several of the ideas that have
been posted there are worthy of being submitted as Stories of
Excellence. For example, Matt's professional development workshops,
Lisa's teachers' use of Del.icio.us, Jenni's internet safety workshops,
and many many more :)

Thanks,
Demetri

Demetri Orlando
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, TN
demetrio@battlegroundacademy.org

Re: raiser's edge?

We have an opening for a Blackbaud database manager. Blackbaud products
include Raisers Edge, Education Edge, Netcommunity, Faculty Access,
NetClassroom and Researcher's Edge. St. Agnes Academy is located in
Houston, TX.

Jason Hyams
Director of Technology =20
St. Agnes Academy