Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: Turnitin Ruled Fair Use (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

1. The reference to the Google vs Perfect 10 case is particularly
chilling here. This case and the recent ruling essentially mean you
have no recourse to Turnitin's use of your work and they do not need to
remove it from their database. In general, because they will only
display snippets of your work (to highlight another's plagiarism) I
believe they would argue that it is fair use regardless of your desire
to opt-out. Google displays snippets of your work with links and caches
the entire page (displaying advertisements beside it and profiting
commercially). Turnitin believes they are essentially doing the same
thing.

2. It does not matter if the material is formally copyrighted because
they claim fair use. These students even went so far as to attach
disclaimers to their work, however the click-through agreement they must
acknowledge when submitting the work specifically prevents modification
of the agreement, so again, it is useless.

3. Schools, especially private schools, can compel students to submit
all works to Turnitin electronically or face incomplete grades,
suspension, and expulsion. However, it should be noted that Turnitin
does allow individual teachers to exclude student work from being held
in the database.

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)