Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Re: combined library and technology departments

Christopher,

We have been a combined library/technology department for the past ten
years. For us, this integrated department has worked out extremely well.
Here is a description from our website:

Nearly ten years ago, as The Key School contemplated the changes
technology would bring to the education world, the School elected to
form a combined library/technology department; a configuration that was,
at the time, in the vanguard. Rather than equipping the School with
technology, the plan was to equip the students and teachers to use
technology effectively, ethically and with purpose. Key School
librarians, as practicing "information managers," collaborate with Key
School technologists to support students in using technology to solve
problems, to communicate ideas, to think critically as they synthesize
facts and evaluate data. This thinking of a decade ago has allowed Key
School to integrate technology in a manner that is meaningful for the
students and supportive of Key School's Mission.

Marilyn Meyerson
Head, Library and Technology
The Key School