Thursday, March 20, 2008

Re: Programming Curriculum in Middle School

Have you thought about GameMaker? I used it to teach my precocious =
fourth grader and his friend how to make games. Along the way, they =
learned about objects, methods, properties, and other aspects of =
object-oriented programming. As they go further, they can mess around =
in the code and actually see the changes of what they are doing in a =
clear and visual way. Best of all, it's free at www.yoyogames.com

The other tool I love is AgentSheets. It is not free, but has been used =
to teach programming in middle/high school at a number of places =
including the TriPLets project at Middle Schools in Memphis, TN. =
http://triplets.cs.memphis.edu/

Good luck!

Catherine Wyman
cwyman@devry.edu
Program Director, Web Graphic Design
Acting Program Director, Game and Simulation Programming
DeVry University
Office: 602-795-3915
Cell: 602-692-8327
Arizona Time Zone