Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: Turnitin Ruled Fair Use (UNCLASSIFIED)

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
March 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM -0400 wrote:
>So in other word a copyright provides you no right at all. Anyone can
>take your work put it into a database, use it for commercial
>prepossess and so long as they do not display the whole work and in
>some case even if they do that is "fair use"?
>
>This sound to me as if this ruling eliminates any rights granted to
>the holder.

(underline mine)

This is not the case at all. Copyrights do not entitle their holders to
control ALL aspects of the piece - hence the doctrine of "fair use." What
you are seeing here is simply the clarification (by this jude) of the line
between fair use and value of one's copyright.

I could write a song, copyright it, and others STILL have the right play
or sing it for various reasons (parody, for instance). Of course, in this
case, I may be entitled to compulsory payments, but I can't stop them from
doing it. I understand here that part of the issue is that Turnitin is
making money off of material that is submitted by students who feel they
have no choice.

But, they do. Parents and students can complain vigorously to their school
districts or heads of school. There is no one compelling the schools to
use Turnitin, and that is the place to strike for those who oppose it.

Our policy here is that teachers send suspicious papers to me, I submit
them, check the report, and inform the teacher. Therefore, the VAST
majority of our students never have anything to do with turnitin.com, but
we still benefit from having the service available.

Peter Hoopes
Director of Technology
St. Andrew's School
phoopes@standrews-de.org