Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: Turnitin Ruled Fair Use (UNCLASSIFIED)

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
March 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM -0400 wrote:
> If I can

>not prevent other from using my work in a commercial way as is done
>here then a copyright means very little indeed.

Your copyright means that you can prevent others from using your work and
reselling it as their own (or rather, you can sue them if they do that).
*That* is the main benefit. Providing quick access to your (or the
students') work with a commercial catalog (which is what iParadigms is
doing) is hereby legal and not breaking your copyright.

How about this: I make a webpage listing and showing information of my
favorite 10 CD's (with all of the appropriate information) and charge
people to look at it. Am I violating the copyrights of the artists or
record labels? I think I'd be OK legally. The catalog (=my choice) is what
I'm charging for and I'm not representing their work as my own.

My issue isn't so much with Turnitin, but with the schools that use it in
a compulsory way. I don't know if there's a legal argument that would
force a school or university to not *require* it, but I'm uncomfortable
with that relationship...

Peter Hoopes
Director of Technology
St. Andrew's School