Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Re: changing videos to dvds

The following is from Section 108 of of the copyright law (
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108) and may be
applicable--sort of what others have said.

c) The right of reproduction under this section applies to three copies or
phonorecords of a published work duplicated solely for the purpose of
replacement of a copy or phonorecord that is damaged, deteriorating, lost,
or stolen, or if the existing format in which the work is stored has become
obsolete, if =97

(1) the library or archives has, after a reasonable effort, determined that
an unused replacement cannot be obtained at a fair price; and

(2) any such copy or phonorecord that is reproduced in digital format is no=
made available to the public in that format outside the premises of the
library or archives in lawful possession of such copy.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Susan Allen <sallen@nicholsschool.org>
wrote:

> Could you ask your librarian about where she found the information that i=
> is OK to change formats? I have looked into this same topic a couple of
> times and was always told it was illegal to change formats. A citation
> for this would be very helpful!!! Thanks for passing along my request.
>
> Susan M. Allen
> Director of Libraries & Academic Technology
> Nichols School
> 1250 Amherst Street
> Buffalo, NY 14216
> (716)875-8212 x259
> sallen@nicholsschool.org

--=20
"For the digital age, we need new curricula, new organization, new
architecture, new teaching, new student assessments, new parental
connections, new administration procedures, and many other elements." Marc
Prensky, "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants", (2001)
http://www.marcprensky.com