Thursday, March 20, 2008

Re: Programming Curriculum in Middle School

Look at http://www.greenfoot.org/.

It is a java tool that is an
accessible to learn programming. It is a good project targeted for ms/hs
kids. You can also make cool games in it and gain a good understanding of
obj oriented programming.

Tim Cooper
LREI

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Hi Bill,
>Thanks for the input. Processing is one of the programs I am looking at.
>will hold onto your email for future reference. I am hoping to get some
>sabbatical time off to learn the programs and prepare a curriculum for
>introducing the kids to this. If you have any lesson plans or some sort
>of
>guide as to how you introduce processing to your students and would be
>willing to share I would be most appreciative.
>
>On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Bill Knauer <bknauer@packer.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carol,
>>
>> Four years ago we introduced programming into our 8th grade curriculum
>> using Processing, an open-source, Java-based programming language that
>> came out of a project at the MIT Media Lab (processing.org). It's a
>great,
>> straight-forward programming environment that appeals both to the
>students
>> who are interested in writing code and those who are dra

Tim Cooper
HS Computer Coordinator
Ninth Grade Dean
K-12 Tech Dept Chairperson
LREI - Little Red Schoolhouse and Elisabeth Irwin HS
40 Charlton St.
New York, NY 10014
212.477.5316 ext 364
tcooper@lrei.org