Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Re: Article in NYT about on-line grades and Parents

Larry

We have been using PowerSchool for a few years now. The parental
response has been overwhelmingly positive. Given our demographics
most of our parents are quite involved in their child's progress and
this level of access let them acquire the info when they wish. Just
as the article describes and some of the other posters some parents
obsess and others don't.

Personally, I don't see it as a snooping issue between parent and
child. But I can see where some advice and tempering of the parent's
expectations may prevent some of the over-reactions cited in the
article. The same for keeping an eye on the anxious student.

The parents also let us (IT) when PowerSchool's data may be amiss !
At least they are not hysterical about it.

Fred Austin
Technology Coordinator
The Oakwood School
Greenville, NC