Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Re: Need Guidance ASAP - 1:1 Program

Vinnie -

What a fantastic opportunity to have been handed. And I love that your
designer is a disciple of The Third Teacher. Great stuff there.

One model for 1-1 that is uncommon, but is working for us, is that in which
the students purchase and own their laptops. The school plays no part in
this, aside from basic specifications. We outline our approach in this FAQ,
which may be found here: http://goo.gl/xNax

As for supplemental costs, in our case we re-did our wireless infrastructure
to give us greater density of APs (one per classroom, more in common areas),
and beefed up our security (to allow for posture assessment when someone
joins the network to prevent the introduction of malware). We did not add
more staff to deal with the influx of new computers, but we did create a new
student help desk for students to assist one another.

I would suggest a timeline which includes a pilot project with some earl
adopters this year if possible, in advance of a roll-out to the whole
school. Alternatively, you can roll-out the program over 2-3 years.

We did professional development with faculty for 2-3 summers before rolling
out the program. If you can find the time during the school year, you could
accelerate that. Part of our long period of prof development was a delay of
starting the program due to the economy. I can highly recommend the
Summercore program for professional development.

Feel free to call with any questions, and good luck with your construction
and program.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?