Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Re: iPads in Education - how are you using it? How do you see it being used?

Agreed. See this recent wsj article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704631504575531932754922518.html?KEYWORDS=barchowsky#articleTabs%3Darticle

as just one area of use.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Danton Chin <danno@javanaut.com> wrote:

> I originally wanted to add a comment to the thread on "Staff and Faculty
> Use
> of iPads" and deployment issues but because the original poster wanted to
> remain on topic I am starting a separate post. The use of iPads in
> Education
> was a subject that I wanted to talk about this month at the iPhone
> Developer
> Conference Voices That Matter but because of time constraints and my
> commitment to speak at another iPhone Developer conference I didn't. But
> iPads in Education is a really interesting topic. So I would strongly
> disagree that the iPad is not a learning tool and strictly a device used to
> consume digital media. Several examples come to mind to counter a statement
> made in that thread.
>
> 1. The Brushes app available for the iPhone and iPad was used to create a
> cover for the New Yorker Magazine. See
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10250989-93.html. That's creativity at
> work.
>
> 2. The iPad has been adopted by a large number of parents (don't know if
> there has been any formal adoption for a school program) with autistic
> children to help their children learn. See
> http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-08-11/news/ihelp-for-autism/
>
> 3. The Molecules app and the CMOL apps available for iPhone and iPad are 3D
> molecular viewers that can help students visualize molecules and use the
> unique features of these devices to allow students to interact with the
> molecules.
>
> 4. The GoSkyWatch Planetarium - the astronomy star guide can be used in the
> field to help everyone learn astronomy in a unique way that you cannot with
> a laptop because of its very different form factor.
>
> 5. And what about the use of these devices in programming courses so that
> students can catch the "magic" of developing apps for a mobile device?
>
> There are many more examples of how the iPad can be used for learning. And
> we are only at the beginning. As an iOS developer and as someone who has
> spent a lot of hours trying to contribute to the education of students in
> my
> school district I respectfully ask and would like to know how everyone is
> using iPads in education today and how do you envision it being used?
>
> Danton Chin
> Former nine year Board of Education member
> Pelham Union Free School District
> Pelham, NY
> Founding chair of the Technology Committee
> iOS Developer and consultant, author, and speaker
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

David F. Withrow
Director of Technology
Harford Day School
Bel Air, Maryland 21014
voice: 410 809 2406
fax: 410 836 5918
cell: 443 876 3422
skype: dfwithrow
http://www.harfordday.org

"What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not
knowledge in pursuit of the child."- George Bernard Shaw

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice,
there is.
- Yogi Berra