Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Re: New faculty and laptop programs

please share the results....

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Questions:
>
>* When do new faculty receive computers, email accounts, website accounts, etc.?
at the end of the summer and before we have our professional development days (1 week before school starts). email is activated once they have signed their contract.

>* Are any of you sending new faculty to technology conferences, such as the Lausanne Laptop Institute in Memphis to prep for 1:1?
no

>* How much time is spent training teachers on how to access school resources (network and cloud) via computer?
the technology coordinators meet with the new teachers during their orientation for a couple hours and follow up with 1-1 training.

>* How much prep time is given to new faculty to work on integration - work with integrationist, teaching team, etc.?
they can set up meetings with the technology coordinators on an individual basis to work on integration.

>* Are things such as classroom management with laptops, student expectations, etc., part of the discussion?
somewhat

>* Is technology proficiency a job requirement? If so, how is it assessed during the interview process?
no, but it should be. if anyone has questions that they ask during the interview process, then i would be happy to see them. we would like to start integrating these types of questions into the interview process.

>* Is ability to effectively integrate technology a job requirement? If so, how is it assessed during the interview process?
no, but it definitely should be! again if anyone has information to offer, we would gladly look it over and attempt to integrate into our job description(s)/interview(s).