Tuesday, July 27, 2010

REPLY: Teaching Office for Mac in the Middle School

John

Some ICT Curriculum Frameworks listed at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ict/ictcurr/

But for your specific need I'd suggest you looked at
ECDL ICDL for Educators
http://www.astonswann.co.uk/
ECDL ICDL for Educators
ECDL learning material specific to Education
Personal development and certification through ICT skills courseware in
context for schools.
International Computer Driving License

If your curriculum is going to be mainly skills based then also have a look
at those listed at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/ITskills/

Hope this helps ... good luck with the course

p.s. other Office materials and teaching resources that may help at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/MSoffice/

Chris

Second Life: Shamblesguru Voom
Twitter: shamblesguru Skype: cthsmith
ePortfolio www.shambles.net/csmith
w-shops
www.shambles.net/csmith/workshops
Chris Smith : email: csmith@csmith.info
Personal Learning Network: www.shambles.net/csmith/pln
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/shamblesguru
Google Wave: shambles.guru@googlewave.com
Based in Thailand, working across S.E.Asia
The Education Project Asia www.shambles.net
Support for ICT across the Curriculum (consultancy)
'It's out there somewhere, the trick is finding it'
International Schools Island in Second Life
Indexing S.L. for Educators in S.L. itself
SLURL http://tinyurl.com/2o44dw

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:56:38 -0400
From: John Miller <johnmiller@rutgersprep.org>
Subject: Teaching Office for Mac in the Middle School

We are looking to update our Fifth Grade Computer Curriculum with a renewed
focus on teaching the skills necessary to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word,
Excel and Powerpoint) for academic projects that they will encounter in
Middle School. Our school primarily uses Macs and our students rotate
through a series of classes over the course of the year with computers being
only one of those classes. That means that only a third of the students
have computers at any one time and the class meets daily for about 10 weeks.
Does anyone have such a curriculum already in place that they could share?
Is anyone aware of any products on the market that break down the skills
necessary for mastery of the Office applications that could be used as a
diagnostic tool to determine an individual student's prior understanding?

Thanks for your help,

John