Thursday, July 29, 2010

Re: Global/Electronic Permission Slips

From: Wilson, Debra
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 8:38 AM
To: Bassett, Patrick; Janicki, Bridget
Subject: RE: ISED-L Digest - 23 Jul 2010 to 25 Jul 2010 (#2010-191)

The reason we don't have sample global permission slips, and why I generall=
y discourage them, is that for a release to stand up in court the individua=
l signing it usually needs to have some kind of knowledge of the risks and =
what is going to happen. If the school just wants permission to take the ch=
ild on trips, that is one thing. If they want the parent to release the sch=
ool from all kinds of liability for those trips, that can be something else=
. Arguably you can connect the dots (initial form the parent signs at the b=
eginning of the year, information goes home with the student on each trip, =
the parent may / or may not see the travel information and could have calle=
d the school to say "no, s/he cannot go"), but it can be complicated depend=
ing upon the facts and the other steps the school takes to ensure safety.

Debra

Debra P. Wilson
Legal Counsel
NAIS