Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Re: Combining Different Levels of French

In my experience as a French teacher and department head, EVERY upper
level class is a mixed class. Regardless of what they've all been
exposed to, by the time learners get to their 3rd year or so, the
actual syntactic and lexical acquisition is all over the map. The
challenge in combining levels is largely one of perception. Students
at the "lower" levels will feel lost as soon as you introduce material
with any structures or vocabulary that they haven't covered. Students
at the "upper" level will of course object to covering grammar
structures that they've already seen (never mind whether they actually
"acquired" the material or not). But of course, you'll also get this
effect when you combine students at the same level who've been with
different teachers previously.

By year 3, students should already have the basic language-learning
tools they need to succeed in almost any class. They should know how
to use a dictionary, extract meaning from context, pick out salient
words, take risks in speaking, understand enough about tenses,
agreement, parts of speech, etc. to talk about grammar and identify
endings, even if they don't understand those endings, etc. This is
why, when designing assessments for language learners, I care more
about assessing these skills than I do about their actual proficiency,
which is going to fluctuate all their life anyway.

Hesitant learners will use the mixed environment as an excuse to NOT
apply these language-learning skills, so they need support. I tell
kids that it's not as if there's a level 3 France where they don't use
conditional sentences and a level 4 France where they avoid talking
about things in the subjunctive mood. It's about using what you know
to maximum effect, and using available resources to increase what you
know.

Peter Vinogradov