Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Re: Simple movie editing on Windows

Hi Steven,

I've used Windows Live Movie Maker for several short movies. The UI has
a different look than most other movie editing packages. I believe in
an effort to simplify, MS probably should have stuck to a more
standardized look but it will take a little getting used to. On the
plus side, I found LMM to handle our Sony hard drive based video cameras
which MM could not-mpeg2 format was incompatible with MM. I haven't
measured resource allocations, but LMM is more efficient with resources
where MM would crash. Our students do an animation unit and MM was
problematic whenever the number of imported images exceeded 300. We've
been using MM on desktops running WinXP Pro w/ 2 GB of ram and it was
still a problem. LMM on the other hand has been working great for me on
the Acer Aspire One netbook running Win7 w 2 GB of ram. Also, by adding
a 2GB flash drive to the netbook, one adds 2GB of ram which only made
rendering movies that much smoother-a nice side benefit of Win7. We're
moving to Win7 next year on netbooks for our middle school and I will
most definitely be installing LMM as well.

Hiram

Hiram E. Cuevas
Director of Academic Technology
St. Christopher's School