Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Re: Printer software

I would second the PaperCut recommendation. We've used it for about 5 year=
s now and are very happy. The product is very flexible, very easy, and ver=
y reasonably priced - you can definitely save more than it costs in the fir=
st year alone.

We do make use of it for limiting student printing, but our favorite featur=
es include limiting the length of print jobs so someone does not print a we=
b page that turned out to be forty pages long. You can implement a time in=
terval for which the same document cannot be reprinted - this primarily hel=
ps with the impatient person who prints and doe snot see it immediately com=
e out the printer so they try again, and again, and again. This also helps=
cut down on the printers being used as photocopy machines.

We generally do not limit faculty, but we do start them off with a total co=
unt of zero so that there printing puts their account at a negative number =
that represents their total printing - we think it is helpful that they see=
just how much they are printing. =20

The software runs on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. =20

The reporting tools are very good and you will have a much better understan=
ding of the printing on your campus.

I would definitely give them a serious look.

John Caballero
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School