Friday, April 30, 2010

Re: printers v. copiers

Sister Elizabeth,

I can't argue with your own numbers and experience, but they are inconsiste=
nt with much of the research on this topic over the past ten years. It's be=
en five years since I have looked closely at printing costs, but industry s=
tandards at the time indicated that large copiers produce B&W copies at les=
s than $.01 per page (color at $.05 per page) and ink jet printers cost abo=
ut $.15 per page. Those numbers are fairly consistent with our own experien=
ce. Granted, the more volume you produce on the large machines, the lower t=
he unit cost. I would go back to your copier vendor and inquire about highe=
r monthly thresholds if you feel you are paying a high premium for copies o=
ver and above your monthly limit.

Joel

--=20
Joel Backon
Director of Academic Technology / History
Choate Rosemary Hall
333 Christian St.
Wallingford, CT 06492
203-697-2514

On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Sister Elizabeth wrote:

> I've done the arithmetic here. We have a big copier, color and black and=
white, a few medium size color laser printers and many black and white las=
er and color ink jets.
>=20
> The copier is the most expensive. It is under a lease contract that is s=
et up so that we only pay extra if we go over the contracted number of copi=
es. It is still the most expensive way to reproduce things. From there it=
goes down just like you would expect, color ink jet, color laser and black=
and white laser.