Friday, April 30, 2010

Re: printers v. copiers

We moved our student printing from LaserJet printers to Canon MFP(s)
last year. As you stated below there are many variables to consider
that can be school specific.

Last year our students were able to print to 60 printers across the
campus including 1 dedicated student copier. This year we reduced the
number of printers to 5 MFP(s) and added color scanning services.

The cost of student printing in the past was about $24000 when including
toner, maintenance, printer rotation, routing software and the single
copier lease. The cost of the 5 MFP(s) with toner/maintenance and lease
will be about $19000. Although we have seen a slight savings I find the
true benefit in increased uptime, outsourced maintenance and a fixed
replacement schedule. We have also seen a reduction in printing and the
elimination of misprints to the wrong printer.

The numbers above do not include faculty/staff copiers/printers or color
MFP(s) and large format printers in our labs.=20

Jason Hyams
Director of Technology
St. Agnes Academy