Friday, April 23, 2010

Re: Query - Parent/Teacher Conferences format

Hi Dean,

We hold two formal conference days per year in our grade 5-8 middle =
school. One in October and one in April. Students are a part of all =
conferences which we refer to as "family conferences" rather than =
parent/teacher conferences. Including the learner in the process is =
mission-directed for us, but also in line with best practices and good =
for many reasons, not the least of which is a short-circuiting of the =
"blame game" so common in conferences. Our lower and high schools also =
hold family conferences but the format varies.

The first conference for us is one in which student/advisor/parent are =
all a part. The advisor facilitates the conference having collected =
necessary information on the child from all subject area teachers. The =
spring conference is "student-led." Advisors train students in the =
process of goal setting, self-reflection, portfolio development and =
agenda creation. Everyone is very happy with the process. All =
conferences are roughly 30-minutes in length. I've also experienced =
these as a parent and they are truly remarkable. I can't recommend them =
more strongly.

Best,
=20
George Swain