Saturday, April 24, 2010

Re: ISED/Political views in the classroom

Hi!

It's interesting about research and political views. Thanks!

I have always tried to keep my personal opinions out of the classsroom =20=

to whatever extent that is possible, but just yesterday my students =20
specifically asked me to add my own views to a unit on the history and =20=

politics of food. They were of the opinion that I was unlikely to =20
change their minds and they wanted to know what I thought. I told them =20=

they were probably right and that I would think about it. Where they =20
are in life (12, 13), maybe it really would be more respectful to get =20=

some of my views out there.

Of course, my political views are based on "Assume good intentions," =20
and "First, do no harm." I believe that there are two legitimate sides =20=

to most arguments and you need to hear people out, find things in =20
common, try to understand why you might disagree and come to an =20
understanding about that. So maybe my personal politics have been in =20
the classroom all along in how I've set up basic guidelines and =20
social norms for the course.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School