Monday, April 26, 2010

Re: Bill Moyer's Journal - Next Week Is The Final Episode

Peter,=20

Because the tone of your email seemed a bit confrontational and because =
I highly value this thoughtful and respectful community I revisited =
Fred's email. I found that he was recommending Moyer's show because the =
guests, artists and activists, have enriched his intellectual life. As =
educators I hope we encourage our students to "entertain a thought =
without accepting it." I agree with Fred that Bill Moyer's Journal has =
been a wonderful forum for exploring a broad range of ideas and I am =
grateful to him for informing me of Moyer's retirement. I hope we can =
discuss "extremism in defense of liberty is no vice" and other =
political matters elsewhere.=20
Best,
Carolyn Wilson Koerschen=20

On Apr 26, 2010, at 5:52 AM, Peter Greer wrote:

> Because I remembered the time I heard Bill Moyers speak at the =
Metropolitan Museum of Art (I remember because the Boston Red Sox beat =
the Yankees for the division title on that evening in 2004) and how =
Moyers speech sounded so one-sided, I refreshed myself with a little =
research after reading Fred's passionate email. I found that Moyers =
wrote the nuclear bomb commercial LBJ used against Barry Goldwater. =
Moyers was such a leading voice for civility in politics? Not that =
time! Could Moyers possibly be a sanctimonious hypocrite (that brings =
tears to my eyes)?!
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]