Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Google Apps and Moodle Integration

Cross posted on ISENET.ning.com

We are currently running Moodle with a ton of success and would like to
integrate Google Apps into the student's toolbox. I came across The Killer
App: Google Apps and Moodle
Integration?<http://learningischange.com/2009/02/25/the-killer-app-google-apps-and-moodle-integration/comment-page-1/>
As I was reading it, it became apparent that we could integrate these two
tools.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Lisa Sjogren

Re: Global humanities curriculum

Dear George,

Here are some ideas for your proposed curriculum. As far as looking at
other schools, my former school, Sidwell Friends, teaches a 5th grade
curriculum in which students study medieval Europe and Asia. The
teachers used to spend a lot of time on Japan, not China, and they still
might.

As far as some content and curriculum suggestions, Japan is an
interesting comparison because it developed a feudal system independent
of Europe at roughly the same time. If you do a google search, you'll
find that there is quite a bit of comparison information, including
lessons and webquests for middle and high school classrooms. =20

There are some wonderful people around the country who specialize in
China and Japan in the curriculum and you might want to contact them.
In your neck of the woods, the Five Colleges Center for East Asian
Studies (at Smith College), and its director, Kathy Masalski, can offer
you some good insight into novels, stories, humanities curriculum, etc.
Go to www.smith.edu/fcceas or e-mail directly KMASALSK@email.smith.edu.
There is also the East Asia center at Columbia. Contact Karen Kane at
kak13@columbia.edu. In fact, Karen and her colleagues put together a
fabulous online unit on China and Europe, though it focuses on 18th
century to present. That and other units are at the Asia for Educators
site: http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/. There have been a series of
superb curriculum guides written on China and Japan over the past ten
years focused on the humanities. Sadly, they are no longer in print
(the organization that received the grants to write them dissolved) but
they are still in circulation and available for borrowing. The units on
China and Japan during the period you specify are particularly good.
The Five Colleges Center for East Asian Studies will have them for you
to borrow.

Good luck!

Best,
Jon Zeljo

Jon Zeljo
Director of Global Education
Holton-Arms School
7303 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
301.365.6004
www.holton-arms.edu

Re: Global humanities curriculum

Hi George -

You might want to post something about your project in an online
community that I run on global education:
http://globaleducation.ning.com. You can also search for potential
project partners in the members area and contact people directly.

Hope that helps,

Lucy Gray
Lead Technology Coach
The University of Chicago
Urban Education Institute
(773) 834-4078
lucyg@uchicago.edu
http://lucygray.org

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM, George Swain
<gswain@poughkeepsieday.org> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>

> Our middle school teachers are planning to expand the 5th and 6th grade
> humanities curriculum to include a comparative history of China and
> Cordoba, Spain. The themes of religion, feudalism and trade are of
> particular interest. The current study is "medieval Europe" and touches
> mainly on Britain and Central Europe. =A0Does anyone have recommendations
> for contacts at schools that teach a global or cross-cultural curriculum
> at this level?
>

> Warm regards,
>

> George Swain
>
> Head of Middle School
>
> Poughkeepsie Day School
>
> 845-462-7600 ext. 222

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

MS English Teacher Opening

The Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking exceptional candidates to fill a
full-time, one-year leave-replacement position in 7th and 8th grade
English. We are a laptop school with a rich creative and analytical
writing program. The position also involves advising. A master's degree
and previous middle school experience is preferred. More information
about our school can be found at: www.poughkeepsieday.org.

=20

Please address correspondence to George Swain, Head of Middle School.

=20

George Swain

Head of Middle School

Poughkeepsie Day School

Global humanities curriculum

Dear friends,

=20

Our middle school teachers are planning to expand the 5th and 6th grade
humanities curriculum to include a comparative history of China and
Cordoba, Spain. The themes of religion, feudalism and trade are of
particular interest. The current study is "medieval Europe" and touches
mainly on Britain and Central Europe. Does anyone have recommendations
for contacts at schools that teach a global or cross-cultural curriculum
at this level?

=20

Warm regards,

=20

George Swain

Head of Middle School

Poughkeepsie Day School

845-462-7600 ext. 222

SharePoint Portal

Anyone out there using the Share Point Portal Learning Management
System? If so, and you're open to questions, please email me directly
at vrichter at Exeter.edu. Thanks, Vi

-----

Vi Richter

Instructor and Academic Technology Coordinator

Information Technology Services

Phillips Exeter Academy

http://www.exeter.edu/ITS <http://www.exeter.edu/ITS>=20

Re: Announcing the Independent School Cooperative

Hi Renee,

In discussions so far we are thinking of courses for both teachers and
students. It would really depend -to a great extent- on what courses
members of the cooperative want to offer. One possibility we've been
considering for teachers is a course about learning how to create an
online course.

Fred

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Will the courses be for other teachers, for students, or both?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Renee Ramig
>Seven Hills School

Re: Instructions/Guidelines for Students Creating Video Projects

I used media converter just this last quarter. Because of the =
limitation for 5 free, I went ahead and paid for a month subscription =
for $15. It was worth it.

Bernadette Roche'
Technology Coordinator
Oakhill Day School
bernadette.roche@oakhilldayschool.org
816.436.6228
=A0

Monday, March 30, 2009

ACK! PolyCom! Not PolyVision!

We have SMARTboards (which I love), but we have a PolyCom conference =
system! Does anyone else?

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Re: Online Unification and Synthesis

An enormously belated response

As Jim knows, this has been one of my projects going back quite some
time - and no factors to be included keep popping up, nevertheless...

We decided to integrate what we felt to be "best of breed" regardless of
vendor. Like Jim we settled on finalsite as the landing point. We have
ended up adding more "portals/constituencies" than I anticipated as
other needs appeared.

Advice - get some sort of exclusive, cross data source identification
system running first. Everyone now has a unique ID that works across
roles so that if an alumnus gets hired as a faculty member, and is also
a parent, they only have one ID. This simplifies the process a great
deal.

Advice 2 - define your God system(s). What system is going to be
authoritative about whom. In our case - HR about anyone receiving
paycheck (even if faculty), SIS about currently enrolled students and
their parents (if not on payroll), Advancement about Alumni, etc.

We are concurrently working on a public face (finalsite), SIS and
Admission (PCR Educator), Advancement (RE7), Payroll/HR (Paychex),
Authentication (AD/LDAP), Business Office (MAS 200) integration that
moves slower than I'd like but in the right direction. Requires
significant willingness on the part of the vendors to "play nice." Some
play nicer than others - seems to be a function of scale. The larger the
organization, the less the perceived need to help out.

Most of this is still batch oriented but we do have some automated
linkages working.

Details available to anyone who's interested.

Dan

Daniel F. Hudkins
Director of Instructional Technology, Director of Information Systems
Ethics Teacher, Advisor Class of 2011, JSA Teacher/Adviser, Assistant
Varsity Softball Coach
500 Saratoga Ave.
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 345-9631

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Re: Free alternative to Basecamp

Not surprisingly, we use Drupal. Project plans are maintained using the core Book module, and Organic Groups can create working groups around individual projects.

Cheers,

Bill

Friday, March 27, 2009

Integrated Technology Symposium for School Leaders -- and more

Registration is now open for this summer's San Francisco-based [ https://www.urbanschool.org/page.cfm?p=97 ]Center for Innovative Teaching professional development workshops in late July and August. Hosted by the Urban School of San Francisco. Workshops are offered in all subject areas ranging from 1 to 5 days.

For more information: http://www.urbanschool.org/cit

Of particular interest - note the 3-day Integrated Technology Symposium for School Leaders: Digital Tools & Practices to Enhance Learning Across the Curriculum - designed specifically for school leaders (Principals, heads of school, division leaders, curriculum leaders). The Symposium will highlight visionary practices to help leaders vision for a future of a technology-rich school designed to support, enhance and extend the learning experience. The 2008 Symposium FILLED last year with attendees
from over 20 states.

Please forward this on to your colleagues. These sessions will likely fill in the next several weeks and I wanted you all to be the first to have a crack at the available spots.

Integrated Tech Symposium: Technology Rich Learning Across the Curriculum

Monday â€" Wednesday, August 3 - 5, 2009, with optional add-on, August 6th
9:00 a.m. â€" 3:30 p.m.

Full Description at: http://www.urbanschool.org/techsymposium

Overview: Spend three full days exploring models for designing, constructing and implementing technology-rich learning environments across the curriculum. Building off The Urban School's reputation as a national leader in seamlessly integrating digital tools and practices, this symposium delves into various transformative implementations, both school-wide and in all key secondary school department areas (math, science, history, language, arts, English). Presentations and hands-on workshops will
emphasize strategies and techniques to enhance and extend student learning via increased collaboration, organization, information access, varied production and assessment.

Facilitated by:Â [ https://www.urbanschool.org/page.cfm?p=177#Levin ]Howard Levin, Director of Technology, The Urban School, ISTE Board Member, with presenters from all academic areas.

Cost: $600 (optional add-on day +$200 + discounts available)

Optional Add-on Workshop: Moving to 1:1 â€" Visioning Laptops in Your School

Thursday, August 6 2009
9:00 a.m. â€" 3:30 p.m.

Overview: This optional fourth day invites a subset of Tech Symposium attendees to spend additional time more fully exploring the potentialities of implementing a 1:1 laptop program. What are the key questions that need to be asked in the exploration phase? Who are important constituents to bring into the process? What are the associated costs and benefits? What infrastructure is necessary to support a laptop program? What are options to fully support student and teacher technical needs? How does
a Faculty develop digital practices in a coherent and manageable fashion? What have we learned along the way and what missteps can you avoid? The presenters will lead a combination of presentations, group discussions and targeted workshop planning time. The bulk of the day will be devoted to an open consultancy model where attendees will have time to begin their own planning process with constant access to expert advice.

Full Description at: http://www.urbanschool.org/techsymposium

Telling Their Stories: Producing Web-Based Digital Video Interviews
Monday â€" Friday, July 27-31, 2009 (5-days)
9:00 a.m. â€" 3:30 p.m.

Full Description at: http://www.tellingstories.org/workshop

Instructor: [ https://www.urbanschool.org/page.cfm?p=177#Levin ]Howard Levin, Director of Technology, The Urban School of San Francisco, ISTE Board Member

Cost: $650

Overview: This hands-on workshop explores the production and web publishing of digital video interviews. The publishing of student-conducted interviews has efficacy far beyond oral history. Consider the benefits of interviews with local authors, scientists, mathematicians, community leaders, artists and musicians. Using The Urban School's award-winning projectâ€"Telling Their Stories: Oral History Archives Projectâ€"as an example, participants will learn and practice production techniques,
including interview preparation, creating and using a mobile studio, and post-production leading to a public website, complete with digital video and full transcription. See [ http://www.tellingstories.org/ ]www.tellingstories.org for examples. Participants in small groups will conduct interviews at the home of local elders drawn from the current topics of Holocaust survivors, camp liberators and Japanese-American relocation camp internees. Participants will complete all stages of production,
from preparation to interview to publication.

Full Description at: http://www.tellingstories.org/workshop

Howard Levin
Director of Technology
aka - "Director of Digital Tools and Practices that Support,
Enhance, and Extend the Teaching and Learning Process"

The Urban School of San Francisco
415-593-9525
hlevin@urbanschool.org
www.howardlevin.com

Apple Distinguished Educator - Apple Distinguished School
Board of Directors - International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)

Telling Their Stories: Oral History Archives Project
www.tellingstories.org

Re: Looking for schools to visit - PA area - April 24th

Dave,
If you ever get an inexpensive Southwest flight to Nashville, Tennessee, we'd love to host you.
Joanne Mamenta

Joanne Mamenta
The Harpeth Hall School
Director of Communications/Public Relations
mamenta@harpethhall.org
615-346-0135
www.harpethhall.org
Teaching girls to think critically, lead confidently, and live honorably

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on Friday, March 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM -0500 wrote:
>For an upcoming professional development day (Friday, April 24th), our entire Upper School faculty is planning to visit other schools... to see what's going on in classrooms beyond our own four walls. We did something like this a few years ago, and it
>was very useful.
>
>There are about 20 teachers and administrators who will be looking for a place to spend the day. We're expecting to be split up among a variety of different schools, and are particularly interested in seeing what's working well for others in terms of
>technology.
>
>If you work at (or know of) a school within about a 1 hour drive of Lancaster, PA that would be willing to host one or more of our Upper School (grades 9-12, all disciplines) teachers on Friday, April 24th, please contact me. We're a fun group!
>
>Thanks,
>DAVE
>
>David Kapferer
>Lancaster Country Day School
>kapfererd@e-lcds.org
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

Looking for schools to visit - PA area - April 24th

For an upcoming professional development day (Friday, April 24th), our =
entire Upper School faculty is planning to visit other schools... to see =
what's going on in classrooms beyond our own four walls. We did something =
like this a few years ago, and it was very useful.

There are about 20 teachers and administrators who will be looking for a =
place to spend the day. We're expecting to be split up among a variety of =
different schools, and are particularly interested in seeing what's =
working well for others in terms of technology.

If you work at (or know of) a school within about a 1 hour drive of =
Lancaster, PA that would be willing to host one or more of our Upper =
School (grades 9-12, all disciplines) teachers on Friday, April 24th, =
please contact me. We're a fun group!

Thanks,
DAVE

David Kapferer
Lancaster Country Day School
kapfererd@e-lcds.org

Re: free alternative to basecamp

Check out LiquidPlanner (www.liquidplanner.com).

It's a very powerful web-based project management system. And, while they
charge lots of money to corporations, they will provide it free to schools.
It's a little different than Basecamp and a bit different from MS Project.
Also, the free version only allows one project, but a project can have a
very large number of task groups so you could take each of your projects and
map it to a project group.

Christopher

On 3/27/09 12:50 PM, "Lorrie Jackson" <ljackson@lausanneschool.com> wrote:

> I've used BaseCamp to manage the Comm & Mktg projects here with great success.
> Now that I "get" the project management concept, I'd like to move to an open
> source/freeware option. Do have any you would suggest? Keep in mind that my
> team is small (usually
> only 1-2 others on some projects, most projects just me) but that I have 25
> projects running. Thanks!
>
> Lorrie Jackson
> Director of Communications and Marketing
> Lausanne Collegiate School (Memphis, TN, USA)
> 901-474-1003
> ljackson@lausanneschool.com
> www.lausanneschool.com
> Skype: lorriejackson
> Twitter: lausanneschool or lorriej
> Find Lausanne Collegiate School on Facebook!

Christopher Butler

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Re: Print Queue Managers

One thing that you might not know about Papercut is that it includes an
Internet Control module. I haven't implemented it so I can't comment on
its use.

Thanks,
Damianne President
Computer Teacher/Tech Coordinator
Khartoum American School
dpresident@krtams.org

Brian Lee wrote:
> Thank you for all of your suggestions. It's a great jump start in my
> research to eliminate wasted print outs.
>
> I'm leaning toward Papercut, but I also have an eye on Pharos. I look
> forward to saving the school money and saving our trees.
>
> Brian
>
> On 3/23/09 2:58 PM, "Peter Hoopes" <phoopes@standrews-de.org> wrote:
>

>> A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
>> March 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM -0400 wrote:
>>
>>> Student send a print job from their computer. Student walks over to a
>>> console nearby the printer. Student validates print job and waits for
>>> print
>>> outs.
>>>
>> Check out PaperCut (www.papercut.com). It will do exactly what you want.
>> We've used it now (not with the release station, but for management and
>> reporting) and it does a great job.
>>
>> Peter Hoopes
>> Director of Technology
>> St. Andrew's School
>> phoopes@standrews-de.org
>> =====================
>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Looking for Feedback on Test Wiz ERB Reporting Tool

A few years ago we replaced Test Wiz with the Test Analysis Resource
from ISIS Affiliates (www.isisaffiliates.com
<http://www.isisaffiliates.com/> ). Their innovative approach to the
presentation and analysis of multiple years of ERB data has redefined
the way we utilize that data for curricular and instructional decision
making. It's had a significant impact on our program.

=20

Sincerely,

=20

James P. Skrumbis

Head of School

=20

Sierra Canyon School

20801 West Rinaldi Street

Chatsworth, CA 91311

Tel: 818-882-8121

Fax: 818-700-8642

Call for Speakers, Internet@Schools West

Greetings, ISED-Lers. Here's a call for conference speakers that might
interest you. I hope to hear from some of you, especially if you're a
library media specialist or a technology specialist.
David Hoffman
Internet@Schools conferences
and timely technology-related topics and technology-based tools and
resources for K-12 media and technology specialists. It is held in
conjunction with the Internet Librarian 2009 conference.

If you're somehow keeping up in this era of change—policy change,
technology change, funding change, and more—that the K-12 education
community and all media and technology specialists find themselves in …
if you're keeping your programs at the forefront as your school or
district ramps up in these difficult and fluid times to equip all
students for life in the 21st century, we want to hear from you! Please
consider volunteering to share your ideas, insights, and successes with
colleagues at Internet@Schools West.

All speakers receive a full, complimentary registration to the
Internet@Schools West and Internet Librarian 2009 conferences, plus
great recognition from their peers. So think over your latest success
stories or technology ventures and go to
www.infotoday.com/Internet@Schools/CallForSpeakers.shtml.

Thanks! We look forward to hearing from you soon. The deadline for
proposals is April 30, so think quickly and send in your ideas!

Conference Co-Chairs
David Hoffman
Editor, MultiMedia & Internet@Schools Magazine

Susan Geiger
Librarian, Moreau Catholic High School
Hayward, California

--
=====================================
David Hoffman

360/882-0988
Fax: 360/882-9174

www.infotoday.com
www.mmischools.com
=====================================

Re: Online Courses Repost

Spookh,

I've held off posting since the course we (BFOIT) have
is rarely used by a student on their own. It has been,
with e-mail support. And, when I teach the course using
the website, I always have at least one student that
works on their own ahead of me. The final (advanced)
lessons are also a work-in-progress - basically because
I get few students that make it this far; but,
completing it is something I'll continue to pursue.

So, since you've asked twice... even though it might
not be what you are looking for... here's what we
have:
----- Original Message -----=20
> From: Spook=20
> Subject: Online Courses Repost
>

> I am reposting this in hope of getting a few more responses,
> since I guess many schools were on spring break.=20
>
> I would like to ask some questions about online courses.
>
> 1 - Are your students taking online courses and if so what
> are they?

Introduction to computer science/programming

> 2 - Are you creating any online courses and what are they?

Introduction to computer science/programming

> 3 - If you are creating online courses are they for
> internal use only?

No, the on-line materials have been used by others (including
public schools) over the last five or more years.

> 4 - If they are for outside use who can use them and what
> are your charges.

No restrictions on use - this is Berkeley :)

> 5 - If you are teaching online courses, do you have special
> teachers that teach them or to your regular classroom
> teachers teach online.

Teachers that I have been in communication with do not seem
to be special. One teacher was new to computer science and
programming and, so, lots of e-mail was exchanged.

> 6 - Are you using Video conferencing? Can you tell me how
> you are using it?

I have not experimented with this yet, but have been thinking
about video for at least a year. I've played with Skype, but
not in a formal setting.

> Please let me know if I can contact you with additional questions.

guyhaas@pacbell.net
http://www.bfoit.org/
http://www.bfoit.org/itp/itp.html

guy

> Thanks for taking time to answer these questions.
>
> "Spook" Hilgartner
> St. Paul's School for Girls
> Brooklandville MD

Re: Anyone using Cymphonix

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:47:38 -0400, Hennel, David
<henneld@notredameprep.com> wrote:

>We are looking at Cymphonix Network Composer (www.cymphonix.com) as a
>solution to help shape our internet traffic and maximize our limited
>bandwidth.
>
>Our main goal is to prioritize teachers and educational web use over the
>non-educational web traffic (streaming media ,ect) that is currently
>taking place on campus. Ultimately I would also like to retire my linux
>web proxy (squid) and would look to this device for our content
>filtering as well.

If the only thing your interested in is making the most of your bandwidth to
provide the best connection for the most users I think the NetEqualizer
(http://www.netequalizer.com/) is worth a look. When faced with a major bill
for upgrading our Packeteer we decided to give the much less expensive
NetEqualizer a try. In a nutshell, this box takes a protocol agnostic
approach to managing traffic by progressively slowing down the top users
once your traffic hits a percentage of you connection's bandwidth (ours
kicks in at 85%). What's cool is that low bandwidth users or users with
short bursty traffic (e.g. most HTTP traffic) are completely unaffected no
matter what the load. We've used it since September and we see a much fairer
distribution of bandwidth among users (rarely is anyone over 2% of the total
bandwidth) and higher utilization on our connection so we are using all the
bandwidth we pay for. Because of it's simplicity setting it up and learning
how to configure it is a 4 hour job.

The box does contain ability to prioritize individual hosts (e.g. servers,
video conferencing hardware, etc.) as well as the ability to set hard
bandwidth caps on specific hosts or vlans.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology

Re: Anyone using Cymphonix

I installed one 4 years ago and used it for a full school year.=A0At the ti=
me it was one of the few=A0affordable solutions competing with Packeteer, a=
nd their one-price model was more appealing and affordable than SonicWall's=
.=A0=A0 It was a very good experience and I would recommend looking at them=
, however after 3 years I am sure the competition is stiffer.=0A=0APros:=0A=
--Detailed reporting and logging.=A0 I could maintain logs on=A0all=A0netwo=
rk activity for a full year (320 students and 100 faculty)=A0and go back th=
rough the history of individual machines.=A0=A0It also has good high level =
reporting that can help you=A0understand your traffic better and make good =
shaping decisions.=A0 =0A--Pretty charts and graphs.=A0 It shouldn't make a=
difference but it does.=A0 The crisp, professional looking data made an im=
pression on non-technical people, especially=A0parents.=A0 It also made it =
easy=A0to show my browsing history to students at the beginning of the year=
to help them understand the information that was being collected or could =
be collected on any network.=0A--AD integration was solid as was filtering.=
=0A--Individual machines are=A0IDed by MAC address, AD, DNS or a custom nam=
e you assign.=A0 This was especially helpful with our students laptops.=0A=
=0ACons:=0A--The interface mostly worked with Safari, but every so often yo=
u needed IE.=0A--iBooks and macs were only picked up by MAC address and I h=
ad to manually label them for ID purposes.=0A--The built in firewall was an=
emic, especially the VPN (Hopefully this has=A0changed over 3 years)=0A--Th=
e options for setting times for traffic shaping were somewhat limited.=A0 E=
xample=A0you could not set multiple times per day to allow students expande=
d bandwidth to IM (i.e. before and after school).=A0 These have likely impr=
oved as well.=0A____________________________=0AJason at jasonpj@yahoo.com =
=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: "Hennel, David" <he=
nneld@notredameprep.com>=0ATo: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU=0ASent: Wednesday, M=
arch 25, 2009 9:47:38 AM=0ASubject: Anyone using Cymphonix=0A=0AHello All, =
=0A=0A=0A=0AWe are looking at=A0 Cymphonix Network Composer (www.cymphonix.=
com) as a=0Asolution to help shape our internet traffic and maximize our li=
mited=0Abandwidth.=0A=0AOur main goal is to prioritize teachers and educati=
onal web use over the=0Anon-educational web traffic (streaming media ,ect) =
that is currently=0Ataking place on campus. Ultimately I would also like to=
retire my linux=0Aweb proxy (squid) and would look to this device for our =
content=0Afiltering as well. =0A=0A=0A=0AIf anyone has a good or bad experi=
ence with this product could you=0Aplease let me know.=A0 We are planning o=
n demoing the product if anyone is=0Ainterested I would be happy to give my=
feedback as well. =0A=0A=0A=0ADavid Hennel=0A=0ANetwork Administrator=0A=
=0ANotre Dame Prep School=0A=0ATowson, Maryland =0A=0A443-921-2855=0A=0A=0A=
=0A=0A[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]=0ASubmissions to=
ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial,=
share-alike license.=0ARSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RS=
S&L=3DISED-L=0A=0A=0A=0A

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Systems Administrator Position Open

Systems Administrator
Chapel Hill-Chauncy Hall School, an independent college preparatory seconda=
ry school located in Waltham, MA, seeks a Systems Administrator beginning F=
ebruary 1, 2009. CH-CH is a coed day/boarding school with 180 students and =
60 faculty/staff members. 25% of the students are international and 20% are=
domestic students of color. The School values its diversity and embraces e=
veryday principles and practices in pluralism. It embraces differences in l=
earning style and culture in a richly diverse and supportive community. The=
School seeks a Systems Administrator reporting to the Director of Technolo=
gy. The Systems Administrator is responsible for running the day-to-day ope=
ration of the network including servers, PCs, and end-user software. Candid=
ates must be well organized and diverse in all aspects of networking from s=
erver administration to end-user support on applications. Required experien=
ce: A bachelor's degree in a related field, along with 2-5 years experience=
and knowledge of Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft applications, Window=
s Server environments, Active Directory, Firewalls, Cisco and 3Com switches=
, Cisco Wireless NAC Installation and VOIP Systems. Prior independent schoo=
l experience is a plus. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three refer=
ences to: Gwen Schmuhl, Business Manager, Chapel Hill-Chauncy Hall School, =
785 Beaver Street, Waltham, MA 02452. Email at gschmuhl@chch.org, or fax to=
781-894-5706. No phone calls please. Chapel Hill-Chauncy Hall School is an=
equal opportunity employer.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it originate from the Chapel Hil=
l =E2=80=93 Chauncy Hall School and are intended solely for the use of the =
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If an addressing or transm=
ission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender by reply=
ing to it. If you are not the intended recipient you may not use, disclose,=
distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.

Re: Anyone using Cymphonix

We have been using the Cymphonix for 3 years now. The reporting is very
strong. It integrates well with our active directory and I think it
supports Novell's eDirectory. The bandwidth shaping has worked well.
Teachers have priority over students but students have a larger share of
the pipe since there are a lot more of them then teachers. Certain
websites that the teachers and students use for school take precedence
over other websites. The only problem that I have encountered is with
the workstation directory utility (cymdir) sometimes dropping
communication with the cymphonix box. If the box can't identify you
then you are automatically put into the default (student) group. This
will generally resolve itself within a few minutes, or the user can log
off and back on again. This doesn't happen as often anymore. Overall
we have been satisfied with it. The tech support has been great.

Bruce Montgomery
Network Administrator
Lakeview Academy =20