Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Re: Anyone using Cymphonix

Greetings -

I've been evaluating this product for the last month. I had already tested
the Marshall-8e6 product and in a few days I will be testing the St. Bernard
Software iPrism box.

The biggest problem we had with the Cymphonix was distributing the local
cymdir executable that takes care of the single-sign-on process. The
distribution was fine, but we had some problems and it took us a while to
figure out that we had a problem with our Group Policy Object. All the
while, the Macs behaved just fine.

I like the interface (but don't like that it doesn't yet support Firefox or
Safari). I like the granular reporting and the ease of finding what I need
in the reports without having to wait too long.

I like the filtering and ability to associated filter policies to different
groups and users. I like that there is a web-based login to fallback to if
the SSO is not working (and for non-domain members on the network). I like
the bandwidth throttling, but I haven't really tweaked this yet. I haven't
found any showstoppers.

Right now, I strongly prefer the Cymphonix over the Marshall-8e6 solution.
And, for what it's worth, their initial quotes (for a three year agreement)
were within $100 of each other.

We'll see how the iPrism does...

Christopher

--