Friday, March 20, 2009

Re: Email Addresses/Spam

While email obfuscation may reduce some SPAM, I would have to agree
that it is a drop in the bucket. Because most organizations follow
some standard addressing rules for email addresses (first initial,
last name; first name.last name; etc.) bots can still be used to
harvest addresses from Web sites.

Strong perimeter security will often prove to be a better answer to
the problem. I would have to agree with the others that the Barracuda
is a very effective (and cost reasonable) solution if you choose to
bring SPAM filtering in house. For larger or more complex
organizations, IronPort may be a better option but it also comes with
a fairly substantial price tag thanks to the Cisco logo).

Of the hosted solutions, Postini is probably still considered the best
solution (I have not seen the latest from Gartner's benchmarks,
however). One of the only draw backs I have had with Postini is the
ease of integration with Active Directory but Google's programmers
have been revamping several toolsets to allow synchronization between
AD and Postini and it has proven quite stable in the places I have
used it lately.

Sent from my mobile device

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com