Monday, March 30, 2009

Re: Instructions/Guidelines for Students Creating Video Projects

This is a frequent source of frustration at our school as well. Students
will create something on a mac and then bring it in to play on a PC or
forget their connector so their mac cannot connect to our LCD projector. It
is not just a problem with video, often I have students with problems with
ppt created in keynote as well. One way to avoid this may be to upload to
vimeo or slideshare- of course then you may run into problems trying to show
them if your filters block these online tools. Since Macs seem to play nicer
with different formats, and we have all PCS in our lab, as well as the
teacher laptops- I try to encourage kids to bring in PC compatible video. I
have VLC and gomplayer on my laptop, which can usually find the codecs
needed to play just about anything.

So- either upload to an online tool, or use VLC or some other more universal
player (not windows media player).

Maureen Tumenas
Berkshire Country Day School
Lenox, MA