Thursday, March 19, 2009

Re: Email Addresses/Spam

At RPS, we list emails, but do not make them clickable.

At the top of the page, we have instructions stating that
@rutgersprep.orgmust be added to the listed address and then below
where we list our
faculty, we only show the front side of the email address.

Peter

*Peter Richardson*
Director of Technical Services
Rutgers Preparatory School
1345 Easton Avenue
Somerset, NJ 08873

732-545-5600 x238

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Melissa Lofton
<mlofton@stmarysschool.org>wrote:

> St. Mary=B9s has always refrained from posting real email addresses on th=
> public areas of our website. For instance, instead of posting the email
> address for the Director of Admission, we use a generic email that forwar=
ds
> to her at the server level: directorofadmission@stmarysschool.org
> The reason we post in this manner is to help alleviate some of the spam a=
nd
> spoofing we so enjoy. We have a Barracuda Spam Filter which works pretty
> well, but certainly isn=B9t infallible. My questions to the group are: D=
> you
> follow a similar practice regarding the posting of real email addresses i=
> public areas of your website? If no, how do you control the spam? Have yo=
> found a spam filter that is more effective than the Barracuda? Any commen=
ts
> and/or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Melissa
> --