Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Re: Anyone Using Gmail?

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:21:52 -0400, Elizabeth Davis <lizbdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Ellen,
>How did you manage the transition from FirstClass conferences? We use these
>a lot. I was thinking that GoogleGroups might work.
>-Liz

If you use FirstClass conferences extensively you're not currently going to
find a good replacement for them with Google Apps for Education. Note that
Google Groups are NOT currently part of the Google Apps for Education suite
of apps.

I'm a big proponent of Google Apps, but having worked with FirstClass and
seen how some schools use conferences very effectively I'm familiar with
what it would take to duplicate this functionality. While Google Apps has a
lot to offer, it would be a major communications paradigm shift for your
school which might/probably not be worth it unless you have some very
compelling reason(s) to move away from FirstClass.

FWIW, I've been lobbying Google to add some features leveraging RSS and
probably Google Groups to create FirstClass conference-like functionality,
but I have seen no sign that anything like this is on the horizon.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology