Thursday, March 26, 2009

Re: Online Courses Repost

Spookh,

I've held off posting since the course we (BFOIT) have
is rarely used by a student on their own. It has been,
with e-mail support. And, when I teach the course using
the website, I always have at least one student that
works on their own ahead of me. The final (advanced)
lessons are also a work-in-progress - basically because
I get few students that make it this far; but,
completing it is something I'll continue to pursue.

So, since you've asked twice... even though it might
not be what you are looking for... here's what we
have:
----- Original Message -----=20
> From: Spook=20
> Subject: Online Courses Repost
>

> I am reposting this in hope of getting a few more responses,
> since I guess many schools were on spring break.=20
>
> I would like to ask some questions about online courses.
>
> 1 - Are your students taking online courses and if so what
> are they?

Introduction to computer science/programming

> 2 - Are you creating any online courses and what are they?


Introduction to computer science/programming

> 3 - If you are creating online courses are they for
> internal use only?

No, the on-line materials have been used by others (including
public schools) over the last five or more years.

> 4 - If they are for outside use who can use them and what
> are your charges.

No restrictions on use - this is Berkeley :)

> 5 - If you are teaching online courses, do you have special
> teachers that teach them or to your regular classroom
> teachers teach online.

Teachers that I have been in communication with do not seem
to be special. One teacher was new to computer science and
programming and, so, lots of e-mail was exchanged.

> 6 - Are you using Video conferencing? Can you tell me how
> you are using it?

I have not experimented with this yet, but have been thinking
about video for at least a year. I've played with Skype, but
not in a formal setting.

> Please let me know if I can contact you with additional questions.

guyhaas@pacbell.net
http://www.bfoit.org/
http://www.bfoit.org/itp/itp.html

guy

> Thanks for taking time to answer these questions.
>
> "Spook" Hilgartner
> St. Paul's School for Girls
> Brooklandville MD

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L