Monday, May 18, 2009

Re: Technology as it relates to iphone/itouch

All very good points.

It should be added that as educators we are involved with coaching our
students in almost every facet of life. The fact that we are
introducing new tools to access worldly information we thereby
increase our role in teaching what is responsible use. We have all
learned that all the technological wonders of hardware and software
available to us doesn't solve our problems or make us better teachers.
It is how we apply those tools. So why do we make an exception when it
comes to filtering and sheltering our children. The technology by
itself is not the answer. Careful monitoring and coaching whenever a
child strays is. We can't be a constant policeman but make a sincere
effort in an age appropriate manner.

Do we plan to do away with the LAN filters? No. Are we going to freak
out whenever the filters fail to shelter everything? No. Do we plan to
increase our student and parent population education on Internet
Safety and responsible surfing/gaming? Yes. (We do some already but
could always do more).

Great discussion. The smart phones are rapidly taking all of this to a
new level. The laptops were personal enough, now the phones are in
their pockets!

Fred Austin
The Oakwood School