Friday, May 22, 2009

Re: Copyright and Wolfram Alpha, Google

Try analyzing the copyright-ability of something in terms of how you =
would
expect a student to cite a resource. This isn=92t a legal definition =
but it
may help the discussion along vis-=E0-vis ISED. You ask a question. =
Their
software is doing the synthesis to generate the answer. It is the =
answer
which is being copyrighted and which required the work.

Credit is given not for FINDING facts but for DOING SOMETHING WITH THEM.
Would you give a student credit for just doing a card catalog search at =
the
library or for typing in search terms at Google? No. You earn credit =
for
the larger paper/product in which you are presenting and citing the
chart/data you found. If all you are doing is putting in search terms =
and
showing somebody else their results, it will be self-evident that you =
put in
the search terms. If you take the time to analyze and comment upon =
their
product, again it seems self-evident what you added and you get credit =
for
_that_. =20

Interesting line of discussion though...

Dan Berger
JPDS =96 NC