Friday, May 22, 2009

Re: Copyright and Wolfram Alpha, Google

I read the W/A statement differently. I don't think they intend to =
enforce
copyright on common knowledge questions. They appear to be making
essentially an academic-type claim. They have taken existing facts and
compiled them together in ways that may or may not have ever existed =
before.
This is similar to a doctoral thesis which refers to data collected
originally by other people/organizations (eg: Census Bureau) but =
analyzes it
in new ways. That thesis IS copyrightable. The copyright isn't on the
original data but on the product of analysis and synthesis of the data.

Scenario: You ask W/A to compare two mildly obscure data points from =
two
atypical groups (eg televisions per capita and infant mortality rates =
for
Bosnia & Herzegovina and Brazil). W/A is stating that it is possible =
that
nobody has ever put that particular combination of data together before.
Thus, it is appropriate to cite W/A and not just the underlying sources =
of
their chart. That parallels the way you would cite a thesis paper which
synthesized these data points.

As for Google, they cannot claim copyright over anything because their
search engine doesn't PRODUCE anything, other than a list of what other
people have done. It is entirely INappropriate to cite Google images, =
for
example, as the source of a photograph (of the Sistine Chapel or =
otherwise).
Google didn't take the picture or give you the right to use it. Google
effectively has said that, while they are creating an environment which
enables plagiarizing and theft, they are not responsible because they =
TOLD
you to 'follow the law.' It is ultimately the person copying the =
image/text
who is responsible.

Just my take on their statements. The Groklaw site has an interesting
comment from a lawyer re software-generated content being copyrightable,
even if it was original. Hmmm. Although I am not a lawyer, I would =
think
that W/A's claims would hold up in most circumstances **in which they =
would
choose to enforce them.**

Dan Berger
JPDS-NC