Friday, May 22, 2009

Re: Authorized but cool senior pranks?

For what it's worth, at the two schools I've taught at in my career,
I've always tried to get seniors to adhere to the following senior prank
"rules of thumb":

1. Any prank involving the moving of furniture, cars, or other large
objects to strange locations has already been done. Surely you can be
more creative than that?

2. Ditto any prank involving the suspension of pieces clothing from
places high above the ground.

3. Ditto any prank involving the placement of live animals in strange
locations.

4. The general daily routine of the school should not be disrupted in
any way. While some teachers may take such a prank in stride, others
will undoubtedly feel that losing class time at the end of the year
isn't a good idea. A good prank should never cause harm to the entire
community.

5. If a prank is going to target one specific member of the community
(the Head of School, the Dean of Students, etc.), be darn sure that the
prank is done affectionately and not out of spite or malice.

6. A prank should be completely reversible and be completely reversed
when it's over. No prank should ever cause damage to the school's
facilities or to someone's personal property.

In general, the fun challenge is to devise a good, original prank that
actually adds to the school's sense of community in a positive way
rather than one that thumbs the seniors' collective noses at the school
as they walk out the door.

-- Dave Wang

<O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O>
Dave Wang
Mathematics teacher
The Bay School of San Francisco
www.bayschoolsf.org
(w) (415) 561-5800 x 119
=20
I have not failed. I have merely found 10,000 ways which do not work.

- Thomas Edison

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model which makes the existing model obsolete.

- Buckminster Fuller