Thursday, January 8, 2009

Re: Facebook question

Hi,

We currently do not block social networking sites. We found that it goes
against the ideas of open communication and freedom of speech. Instead of
blocking Facebook or Myspace, we use it as a teaching tool to tell our
students of the perils of sharing too much information online. If we do
encounter any objectionable materials, we will directly discuss the problem
with the student and the parents.

By teaching the students the proper uses of these sites in our intro to
computing classes, students learn what types of behaviors are acceptable and
not acceptable. We also tell them that we will take action if their online
behaviors does not best reflect the appearance of our school (drugs,
alcohol, bad mouthing, threatening, etc). In essence, we are preparing our
students for a world outside our school.

I have had no issues with students and social networking sites. Common
sense has to be taught sometimes, and students will understand why. By
blocking these sites, you will only increase the chance of students doing
something stupid online in their home. Make these social network sites as
part of a curriculum, and use stupidity examples such as of a male who
posted a picture of himself holding a beer can while dressed in a fairy
costume for Halloween on the day he called in sick for work which then gets
posted as headline news on CNN.

We also tell our students that what you post can remain online for years,
and it will affect your employment status, employment application, and
college applications. Once you do that, you should have little or no
problems with these sites.

Brian