Friday, June 6, 2008

Re: Photo editing for publications

We too have used Adobe Photoshop and then InDesign for yearbook. The
students helped to produce this for a couple of years, but not this
current year. Once the students had done their part, I finished the
layout and then sent it out to be printed. The company we send to is
not Lifetouch, but a similar entity (don't recall off the top of my
head).

For other publications, we will be using CS3 this year, after having
used an outside marketing firm, and some of our faculty extensively
use Pages, which is easy to use but very powerful, professional
documents. Our printer/copiers are Imagistics and are decent, but not
tops in color matching.

Lisa Douthit
Technology Resoures & Locust Systems Admin
Notre Dame de Sion
Kansas City Missouri

On Jun 6, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Karolyne Lucero wrote:

> We use Adobe Photoshop CS3 for image preparation for our yearbook and
> literary magazine which are then produced using InDesign and Acrobat
> 8.
> Several years ago we divided the former "Writing for Print" staff into
> Design Graphics and Journalism which the students have greatly
> preferred
> as it allows them to develop their specific interests. Next year an
> Advanced section of Design Graphics will undertake the certification
> curriculum for the Adobe Certified Associate while learning
> Photoshop in
> much greater depth.
>
> When teaching Photography for purposes other than CMYK high-quality
> printing, I teach Picasa2 which meets the needs of the average user
> extremely well and for no cost.
>
> Karolyne Lucero, EdD
> Technology Coordinator
> Saint Edward's School