Sunday, May 11, 2008

Re: PK-2 Assessment Tool

We use Children's Progress at our school, and I know a number of other =
Independent schools in our area do as well. The expectations for each =
level are high, but not impossible. The results / report documents are =
comprehensive and useful to teachers and administration. We haven't =
turned the results over to the parents. We use it mainly as an in house =
tool. From a tech standpoint, it is easy to administer and takes no =
longer than 30-40 minutes.

The students, as a whole, LOVE the program. It can only be adminstered 3 =
times a year. During any "choice time" students always ask me if they =
can do the "tree program." They like that the lady who narrates the =
assessment says, "You're a Rock Star!" There are a limited few, though, =
who find it extremely frustrating when everyone else has finished and =
they are still working on the program. (It gives help and asks questions =
a variety of ways if you get the answer incorrect the first time. It =
makes each student successful...but sometimes those who need more =
assistance take longer than the rest of the class." Of course, this is =
because we administer CP in a lab setting. If it was done with 1-3 =
students at a time, this would not be an issue.

Just my take on the program,
Jayme Johnson
Director of Academic Technology
Village School