Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Re: Article in NYT about on-line grades and Parents

--=__Part5D74383D.0__=

We are a boarding school, grades 7-12 and use EdLine, but only post
summary grades with teacher comments every three weeks. That has worked
well for us.

wrs

Walter R. Sullivan
Academic Dean
Hargrave Military Academy
434-432-2576

>>> On 5/5/2008 at 4:34 PM, in message
<45d35f0a0805051334v2a09c8f0i84e5ca82b20a11db@mail.gmail.com>, Norman
Maynard <nmaynard@thorntonfriends.org> wrote:
Hi Larry,

We're actually just deploying this now, through PCR. We've started with
"beta" release to about 8 families (out of 50) to help us work out some
of
the snags, including some of those mentioned in the article.

I certainly worry about parental abuse, but we're putting together a
package
of materials for our parents, with the help of the beta testers, to
help
educate them about its use, as well as a 'demo" at our first parent
supper
in the fall, when we release it to our whole community.

Bottom line though, for me, is that it helps - immensely - especially
with
that group of kids who legitimately struggle with executive
functioning. For
them, it takes closed loops all around, and this helps do that.

As with anything, there will be those who abuse and those who use
wisely.

In peace,

*Norman Maynard*
Principal, Upper School
*Thornton Friends School* <http://www.thorntonfriends.org/>
Silver Spring, MD 20904
301.384.0320

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/fashion/04edline.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&ref=fashion&pagewanted=print

> Larry Kahn
> Director of Academic and Information Technology
> The Kinkaid School
> Phone: (713) 243-5090
> Skype: larry.kahn
> Blog: newthingsnewways.blogspot.com

--=__Part5D74383D.0__=

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Sullivan, Walter
TEL;WORK;PREF:434-432-2576
ORG:Hargrave Military Academy;Administration
TEL;PREF;FAX:804-432-3129
EMAIL;WORK;PREF:SULLIVANW@hargrave.edu
N:Sullivan;Walter
TITLE:Academic Dean
ADR;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL:;;Hargrave Military Academy\n200 Military Drive;Chatham;VA;23541
LABEL;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Sullivan, Walter=0A=
Hargrave Military Academy=0A=
200 Military Drive=0A=
Chatham, VA 23541
TEL;HOME:804-836-4392